On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> What'd be a larger win would be if we have async I/O built into the core
> This is reasonably simple on Unices that support it, as well as on VMS and
> Windows. Can't speak for other platforms, but I'm not hugely worried that
> we won't get the win on, say, HP/UX 10.x or SunOS 4.x...

        Just a point of information:  Windows 95/98 can NOT do asynch
IO...I've just spent the last week researching this, and that fact is
clearly and frequently scattered through the MSDN documentation.  You can
fake AIO by using an IO thread (which is generally worthless, given the
lousy W95 thread model) or by doing manual timeslicing, but you can't get
true AIO.

        Just FWIW.

                                Dave