At 11:53 PM 9/26/00 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
>now what bothers me is that all those calls are in section 3 and are no
>section 2 system calls. maybe it is faked with threads but i haven't
>found any support for that notion. if so, i wonder if we can actually
>use it and not collide with perl threads?

Sure, that's not a problem.

I don't much care how its faked (if it is) as long as it works. Might not
be as efficient as full kernel support for async I/O, but it'll do. At
least there's some overlap. (You can get better device request ordering and
do I/O coalescing if you have more than one request handy)

It wouldn't entirely surprise me to find these were done with threads now,
but in a rev or two the kernel did it 'right'.