  >> and where is the event test call made?

  NI> It isn't. PL_next_op is set by C signal handler.

and that has to be memory and data structure safe.

  NI> In practice I suspect we need the test :

  NI> while (PL_op = (PL_sig_op) ? PL_sig_op : PL_next_op)
  NI>  {
  PL_op-> perform;
  NI>  }

  NI> We probably need at least ONE test in the loop - let us try and
  NI> make that usable for all the "abnormal" cases.

we are in violent agreement. a single test flag which is set by a
variety of events is all that is needed. but we also should have an op
loop with no test as the code could use an event loop to handle all
events. then dispatching is not done inline. would it be worth it for
the speedup to have 2 different op code loops?

also do you want to test each time thru the loop? what about a counter?
we could set the flag saying some event has triggered and then in the
conditional code also deal with the counter. when the counter zeroes,
then the event is dispatched.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting