Uri Guttman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>we are in violent agreement.

I think so too ;-)

>a single test flag which is set by a
>variety of events is all that is needed. but we also should have an op
>loop with no test as the code could use an event loop to handle all
>events. then dispatching is not done inline. would it be worth it for
>the speedup to have 2 different op code loops?

I doubt it - but we may as well have "plugable" loop (as in perl5)
just in case.

>also do you want to test each time thru the loop? what about a counter?

Explain your counter idea some more (I will _read_ rather than skim the RFCs
one of these days...)

It seems to me that decrementing counter is extra inner-loop cost,
and you still have the conditional branch delay when you test counter value,
you might just as well test the "flag".

--
Nick Ing-Simmons