> > >We need the character equivalence construct, such as [[=a=]], which
> > >matches "a", "A ACUTE".
> >
> > Yeah, we really need a big list of these. PDD anyone?
> >

> But surely this is a locale issue, and not an encoding one?  Not every
> language recognizes the same character equivalences.

Let me clarify it. The "character equivalence", assuming [[~a~]] syntax,
means matching a sequence of a single letter 'a' followed any number of
combining characters. I believe we can handle this without considering
locale. Whether it is still useful is up to discussion. At least it is
trivial to implement.

Hong