On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:45:58PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> If we can't effectively do it correctly, I can live with that. I just want
> the suboptimal behaviour to be on purpose (and hopefully overridable by
> someone clever enough) rather than accidental.

As I've intimated in the past, I'm in favour of punting on as many hard
problems as possible. :)

> I'm not necessarily thinking that \d will match kanji digits, but that
> doesn't mean that there won't be a character class that will. Or a
> character class that's clever enough to know when something is or isn't a
> digit based on context.

Not possible, AFAIK. A Japanese friend and I puzzled for ages over a
description of a place as being "seven leagues" from somewhere, before
realising that "seven leagues", "nanri", was actually the placename.
(It didn't help that the museum had labelled it as "shichiri", which was
possible, but incorrect.)

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't let someone try. :)

--
By God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it.
- Russ Allbery, http://www.slacker.com/rant.html