At 12:29 AM 6/16/2001 +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 07:12:45PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > The question, then, is should ya be considered a literal number in either
> > of those contexts?
>
>The phrase "in those contexts" suggests that it should in some and shouldn't
>in others.

Well, they suggest that to me but, to be fair, I don't speak Japanese.
(Well, not yet at least)

>This means that the regexp engine would need to understand
>Japanese, not a pretty prospect.

Pretty, no. Correct, yes. (OK, maybe)

If we can't effectively do it correctly, I can live with that. I just want
the suboptimal behaviour to be on purpose (and hopefully overridable by
someone clever enough) rather than accidental.

>I'll solicit advise from Tokyo.pm on how
>*they*'d expect the matching to work; I have a gut feeling that they
>*wouldn't* want \d to match kanji digits, although possibly wouldn't mind
>a separate character class to do so.

I'm not necessarily thinking that \d will match kanji digits, but that
doesn't mean that there won't be a character class that will. Or a
character class that's clever enough to know when something is or isn't a
digit based on context.