At 08:07 PM 9/9/2001 -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:

>   DS> Yeah, I can't think of a good reason for a noop. We might have one
>   DS> anyway, though, just in case one comes along anyway.
>
>in a hardware cpu they were commonly used to fill an instruction slot to
>keep a pipeline filled, or to follow a branch decision, or to pad a long
>running op.

Yup, I realize that. I wasn't sure that we might not have some sort of
in-memory opcode whiteout thing we need to do, in which case it'd be useful
and potentially faster than recalculating a bunch of jump addresses.

>   >> Here's a dumb question:  will parrot allow bytecode which is stored in a
>   >> perl scalar to be executed?
>
>   DS> Yup, in a restricted sandbox too, if you want. That way we'll be
>   DS> able to serialize code to bytestreams, spit them across the 'net,
>   DS> and execute them on the other end.
>
>will the op code table need to be sent over if it is code from a module
>which defines new op codes?

Basically we'll build a small "freeze to disk" section and send it over the
wire instead of freezing to disk. It'll have all the standard stuff--fixup
section, constants section, and code.