Uri Guttman wrote:
> but having parrot op codes map to special instructions
> makes sense only if we are doing some form of machine instruction
> generation as with JIT or TIL.

Actually, I wasn't necessarily asking for any special ops (I'm not actually
asking for anything, it's just a suggestion), just that the boolean math
operations use a specific register or registers. I think this would make
implementing code generation on those platforms more straight-forward.
Things like:
   if( $port_read && 0xF7 ) {...
would tell perl to place the word into the bool-specific register, and the
implementation for the platform could then see that the operation on that
register would be a more likely candidate for optimizations such as:
   LOW B0, AX     ; get low-order byte of bool register (from DATA?)
   BITT B0, 4     ; test bit4 of B0
or whatever the actual ASM ops are.
  If the word were to be randomly assigned to any register, then all similar
operations would need to be tested for those potential optimizations. That's
not impossible, however in RT/embedded systems those ticks are at a premium.
  Again, I'm not implying this is necessary, but only a suggestion. It may
however also offer gains in some internal (event?/flag?) operations.
Grant M.
P.S.> Dan, looking forward to meeting you on Tuesday night.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]