> Have you taken a look at the old Amiga IFF format?  It consisted mainly of
> "chunks" identified by a 32-bit type code and  a chunk-length code.  While
> most implementations were for specific multi-media applications (chunks
> defining sound formats, chunks defining image formats, etc), the standard
> itself was data-neutral.

Defined by Electronic Arts, I think.  Couple of references:

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/mxr/gfx/2d/IFF.txt
http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tech/aboutiff.htm

> I believe that Microsoft is using a derivative of that format for some of
> its files, and I think that TIFF files are another instantiation.

To avoid using Redmondian references :-) I think IFF was one
of the strongest inspirations for the PNG .

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen