  >> then what about a win/win? we could make the event checking style a
  >> compile time option.

  DS> Odds are you'll get per-op event checking if you enable debugging,
  DS> since the debugging oploop will really be a generic "check event
  DS> every op" loop that happens to have the "pending debugging event"
  DS> bit permanently set.  Dunno whether we want to force this at
  DS> compile time or consider some way to set it at runtime. I'd really
  DS> like to be able to switch oploops dynamically, but I can't think
  DS> of a good way to do that efficiently.

hmmm. what about a special op that implements another form of op loop?
the overhead is almost nil (one op call). the called op loop can run
forever or decide to return and then the parent op loop takes over
again.

this would be very cool for event loop management. you could force a
scan of event explicitly by making a call to a event flag checking loop
when you feel like it in some large crunching code. similarly, you could
enable a debug/trace/event flag loop explicitly at run time. we would
need some form of language support for this but is it nothing odd. just
a special var or call that selects a loop type. the parrot code
generated is just the op loop set function. it could be block scoped or
global (which means all code/calls below this use it).

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture and Stem Development ------ http://www.stemsystems.com