Damien --

> Are there any issues holding up 0.0.2 that I (or others) could work
> on?  Failing that, what areas of Parrot are most in need of immediate
> work?
>
> I'm interested in looking at the bytecode loader, if nobody else
> has intentions there.  In particular, I'd like to see if we can
> get empirical data to justify some of the design decisions that
> are being assumed.  Exactly how expensive, for example, would it
> be to use a single bytecode format with platform-independent
> encodings?

I'm currently working on some assigned taskes for the bytecode stuff
for 0.0.2. I need to get it to the point where we can stash NVs in
the const_table. I've already got the interpreter using packfile.[hc]
for its work (I posted a patch earlier today).

I'm just waiting for the thumbs-up from Simon and Dan before committing
that increment and then moving on to do the changes to the format to
support more than just strings in const_table. A cooler packfile/
bytecode file format is due post-0.0.2.

Something that I'm going to have to do unless someone else takes it
on (hint, hint) is to use Inline::C (I hope) or XS to make the
PackFile::* Perl classes use packfile.[hc] behind the scenes so we
only have One True Implementation of the format.

Bear in mind that it will be a moving target over time, so whoever
does it has to have a fairly high tolerance for tracking a moving
target. I would suggest that the time to start that conversion
would be after my next commit, and then track the changes that
occur wrt NV stowage.

Dan? Simon? Is Inline::C ok?

If nobody wants to take this on, it will fall to me, and I'll do it
once I get the other changes in (which is fine by me).

Regards,

-- Gregor
/     perl -e 'srand(-2091643526); print chr rand 90 for (0..4)'      \

   Gregor N. Purdy                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   Focus Research, Inc.                http://www.focusresearch.com/
   8080 Beckett Center Drive #203                   513-860-3570 vox
   West Chester, OH 45069                           513-860-3579 fax