At 04:24 PM 9/25/2001 -0700, Damien Neil wrote:
>In particular, I'd like to see if we can
>get empirical data to justify some of the design decisions that
>are being assumed.  Exactly how expensive, for example, would it
>be to use a single bytecode format with platform-independent
>encodings?

That'd be interesting. Try cobbling up a version of the assembler that does
big-endian assembly and a loader that reads and byteswaps, and see what you
get for start-to-finish performance.

Don't forget that this also kills mmap and the potential to share one copy
of the code across multiple simultaneous invocations of Parrot.