At 06:53 AM 10/23/2001 +0100, Simon Cozens wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 03:24:31PM -0400, Dan Sugalski wrote:
> > 1) Build minimal perl 6 with default parameters using platform build tool
>
>But "platform build tool" is going to be 'make' - the alternative is
>that we maintain and ship every flavour of batch or shell script we can
>think of. I don't think much of that.

Only the first run through on Unix needs to be make, the same way that the
first run through on VMS needs to be DCL, the first run on Windows nmake
(or maybe a batch file) or the first run on MVS be JCL.

Once we build miniparrot, then *everything* can be done in perl. Having
hacked auto* stuff, I think that'd be a good thing. (autoconf and friends
are unmitigated evil hacks--people just don't realize how nasty they are
because they never need to look inside)