On Tue, 2001-10-23 at 20:52, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Once we build miniparrot, then *everything* can be done in perl. Having
> > hacked auto* stuff, I think that'd be a good thing. (autoconf and
> > friends are unmitigated evil hacks--people just don't realize how nasty
> > they are because they never need to look inside)
>
> I've looked inside a lot, and I definitely do not agree.  But maybe you've
> not seen autoconf 2.50 and later?

Russ- Could you expand on this?  2.50 seems to be at least 80% the same
as the previous versions, with very similar m4 syntax, some new macros
added, some old macros removed, some old bugs fixed, some new bugs
added.

Also - I think there are two seperate (yet related) issues which have
gotten merged in this thread:
        building (i.e. make)
        configuring (i.e. autoconf)

-R