On 24 Oct 2001, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Dan Sugalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Making the build system (past the initial bootstrap of microparrot) all
> > perl would make building modules on systems without a build system of
> > their own (like, say, the Mac, as I found trying to install Coy and
> > Quantum::Superposition on the 5.6.1 alpha the other night... :) and
> > it'll let us skip some of the more awkward bits of make.
>
> I can certainly see the features of that approach.  It just seems like
> quite a lot of work.

As I've opined before,

AD> One other thing that nearly all such previous auto-configuration
AD> systems have in common is that nearly every developer of such a system
AD> vastly underestimated the scale and complexity of the task to be
AD> undertaken.

Still, with autoconf or metaconfig, a different build system has to be
maintained for everyone without /bin/sh.  Maintaining duplicate systems is
a lot of work too, though it might perhaps end up split up among more (or
at least different) people.  I honestly don't know what will be best for
Perl6 in the long run.

--
    Andy Dougherty              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Dept. of Physics