All --

FWIW, this stuff came up early on in Parrot's infancy. At one time we had
fingerprinting, then we removed it. At one time it was MD5, then we went
away from MD5. IM(NS)HO, the better approach overall is to remove the need
for fingerprinting altogether. I used to know roughly how to get from
where we were to that state, but when I just looked at the code, I
realized I'd have to catch up on a lot of history to say anything useful
about how to get there from where we are now.

If there is interest in the idea in general, I'll see if I can find
pointers to the prior discussion. Else, I'll just duck back into the
corner :) ...

On a related note, I'm working on a toy VM outside of Parrot to
demonstrate the technique I've proposed here in the past, but alas, time
is short. Anyway, if I can get something produced that is worth looking
at, I'll post here.

Regards,

-- Gregor

Josh Wilmes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>