I haven't given this a WHOLE lot of thought, so please, shoot it full
of holes.

I certainly like the goal of this RFC, but I dislike the idea that the
specification for
what chacters are going to match are specified outside of the RE.

I want to be able specify a character, set of characters or maybe even
another RE, in the primary RE that specifies what an open
"brace-athen-acket" looks like, and then a common symbol that is used to
say "the matching brace-athen-acket".

This is a quick guess at a syntax that I have no great attachment to
(though I think it works).  Consider this example:

m/\m[{(].*\M/;

the \m[{(] says I want to match on either open paren or open-brace.
the \M indicates the matching close for whatever was found in the
appropriate \m.

Possible problems here are:
        - matching multiple character "opens" like "<<" or "/*".
        - knowing what the closing match should be (when it's not obvious) as
in the above cases.
        - (possibly) a problem when you've got many /m-/M pairs in a single RE

I've got some vague ideas on solving all of these, I'll go into if
people like the basic concept enough.
--
David Corbin
Mach Turtle Technologies, Inc.