On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 10:45:27PM -0800, Peter Scott wrote:
> Help me out here.  You're saying:
<snip>

User: perl -w myprogram.pl
Perl:   Name "main::x" used only once: possible typo at -e line 1.
        Use of uninitialized value in division (/) at myprogram.pl line 5.
        Use of uninitialized value at myprogram.pl line 10.
        Use of uninitialized value at myprogram.pl line 11.
        Use of uninitialized value at myprogram.pl line 13.
[...]

Newbies don't write one-liners.  Newbies tend to write their programs
in one big chunk and then try to run it.  Faced with a daunting list
like that (that represents a badly written loop) a lone newbie might
become discouraged.  However, their program might run Just Fine.

I don't know which is worse, not seeing the warnings or being flooded
with them.  Neither is good, though.  But having warnings on by
default we're just trading one for the other.

> Oh well, then we should call the new executable 'p' instead of 'perl'.

Don't laugh, I've seen people do even more rediculous shell aliasing
for similar results.

> > > Just like the lack of it has already pissed off lots of people :-)
> >
> >Yes, but like it or not, they have over 10 years of precedent behind
> >them.  We're used to this situation, the screaming has already been
> >done, the scabs are healed over.  Let's not pick at them.
>
> I've always picked at 'em... in any case, the mandate for Perl 6 design was
> to consider everything fair game, within user-defined reason.

Yes, but its questionable which one is "better".  Given a fresh start
writing a new language, I'd definately say warnings by default.  I'd
also say arrays should start at one, not zero.  But we've got a large
and diverse community to deal with.

This is very much a 6.0 of one, 12.0/2.0 of another type of situation.