At 11:04 PM 8/3/00 -0500, J. David Blackstone wrote:
>   As the initial proponent of the opposing RFC, I feel I should make a
>response.  Let the will of the Perl6 community and Larry Wall prevail.
>  I'm sure we'll all be mostly happy, no matter where that takes us.

I will hitch my wagon to your opposing RFC in no uncertain terms.  (I am
rewriting this message several times to tone down the language here,
because I feel strongly about it but flames won't help.)  A constant topic
of discussion is how to make Perl more accessible and friendly to the the
newcomer, and evidently not enough people or resources are explaining as I
do to my classes that -w and strict are essential for everything they
write.  I won't even show them one-liners without them, I'm that adamant
about promoting the practice.

Make Perl as safe as possible by default; let people turn off the safety as
they get more experienced.  Not the other way around.

I move for this change to the opposing RFC: Make -w and strict the default
in everything except -e and -z. (New flag.  Mnemonic: zero
protection.)  Then living on the wild side will cost one extra character in
the shebang line and nothing in one-liners.

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies