> Just as simply,
>
> - $foo is the variable 'foo'
> - ^foo is the placeholder 'foo'
> - $_ is the default variable
> - ^_ is the default placeholder

Yeah, I personally can read this much clearer. Peter also mentions that
__ is hard to distinguish from _, unless they're right next to each
other, and I think this is a very valid point.

I think the principle of a "general purpose placeholder" is a good one.
But I think _ is already used so much in Perl that something else is
better. I like ^ since is looks like a carat ("insert your variable
here"), personally.

I would avoid *, though, since typeglobs might not go away, and even if
they do it will be quite a shock is *intendedglob works like
*placeholder in 6 vs. 5 (sure, RTFM, but still...).

-Nate