BCW> It seems to me the generally inability to influence the lexer is the
BCW> one general weakness in Perl.

Well, what's wrong with a builtin macro capablity that is allowed
to read the rest of the input stream. Some parsing would be done
before the macro sub is invoked, and then further processing could
be done to the input stream, before a processsed string is returned
to the lexer.

And if we really want to get lexercest, we can make the Lexer available,
to the macro.

        $token = Perl::Lexer($TDIN)->next_token

        or

        $line = <$TDIN>;
        $line = s/frobitz/knob/g;
        $token = Perl::Lexer->push($line);

We can get real dirty here.

<chaim>
--
Chaim Frenkel                                        Nonlinear Knowledge, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                               +1-718-236-0183