On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 03:36:10PM -0700, Nathan Wiger wrote:
> See, this is just too inflexible. The main complaint that I've heard has
> been "You can't have leading or trailing whitespace around your
> terminator". This is a very common error made by everyone, and *this* is
> where Perl should DWIM.

See, I never understood this.  If you're indenting the terminator, it
implies you're also indenting the here-doc text.  I mean, this doesn't
make any sense:

{ { { {
        print <<TAG;
I don't know what their
gripe is.  A critic is
simply someone paid to
render opinions glibly.
                TAG
} } } }

Right?  You're not going to just indent the terminator because you
can.  Its going to go along with indenting the text.

So indenting the terminator and indenting the text are linked.  If you
do one, you want to do the other.

--

Michael G Schwern      http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just Another Stupid Consultant                      Perl6 Kwalitee Ashuranse