>This is the problem that currently here-doc content must be relative to <SNIP>
>indented code.

>>     2 Preserving sub-indentation.

>This is not _currently_ a problem.  Perl _currently_ preserves indentati<SNIP>
>the way, that this problem is a problem.  If problem 1 were solved by in<SNIP>
>the HERE document, then this problem suddenly appears.  So what this "pr<SNIP>
>(using your "current stumper" example below) by

>      die <<POEM =~ s/^\s*//m;

>because that affects the relative horizontal relationships between chara<SNIP>
>avoided when solving other problems, rather than being a problem today.

Once again, we see why a version of s/// that returns the result
is desirable.  You actually meant something more on the order of

    die <<POEM =~ m/\S.*/g;

but relying on knowing what die() does with a list.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able just to say, positing a duadic ~
binding operator for s///:

    die <<POEM ~ s/^\s*//gm;

I think you need the /g, too.

--tom