[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You may wish to read this thread about lazy arrays and object
> persistence to get an idea of what you're getting into.
> http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/3024/2001/3/0/5427925/

Taking lazy as far as we can, has anyone been thinking about
a compilation mode in which all expensive accesses get deferred until
there is a decision to be made?  I know some functional languages
(and Algol 68?) do this, when they can -- just stack up Things To Do
until an output or a decision is required, then figure out just what
is needed to generate or make the output/decision.  How would this work
in perl?  We'd have to stop relying on side effects and well defined
short-circuiting, for one -- or would we?