On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:43:07PM -0500, Damian Conway wrote:
> Casey wrote:
>
> > So you're suggesting that we fake lexical scoping?  That sounds more
> > icky than sticking to true lexical scoping.  A block dictates scope,
> > not before and not after.  I don't see ickyness about making that so.
>
> Exactly!
>
> What we're cleaning up is the ickiness of having things declared outside
> the braces be lexical to the braces. *That's* hard to explain to beginners.

In this case I'll take long-term simplicity over short-term
easy-to-explain rules.  Otherwise we'll be writing this all over the
place til Kingdom come.

    do {
        if my $foo = bar() {

Michael G. Schwern   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Perl Quality Assurance      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         Kwalitee Is Job One
I sit on the floor and pick my nose
  and think of dirty things
Of deviant dwarfs who suck their toes
  and elves who drub their dings.