On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 11:31:13PM -0500, Melvin Smith wrote:
> At 11:40 AM 1/25/2002 -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> >beginners.
> >>
> >> But it's handy. And that was, until now, what mattered with Perl.
> >
> >No, handiness still matters with Perl. It's just that the balance has
> >tipped a wee bit towards the consistency/regularity/simplicity/whatever
> >side of the scale.
> >
> >Besides no one has commented on Steve Fink's (I think it was him) idea
> >to store the result of the most recently executed conditional in $?. I
> >kinda like that idea myself. It makes mnemonic sense.
>
> I like the $? idea, and it could probably be optimized away.

Optimization reminds me of the one thing about $? that bugs me.

if (foo) # evaluates foo in boolean context
if ($x = foo) # evaluates foo in scalar context, ($x=foo) aka $x in boolean context

Allowing $? would eliminate having any different behavior from boolean
vs scalar context, and that seems like a potentially bad idea. (And I
really don't like the idea of behavior changing based on the addition
of a $? way down within the if block.)