On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 16:13, David Whipp wrote:
> Aaron Sherman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> > You might not be able to REASONABLY get a length, so you return
> > undef. In your documentation, you advise users not to take the length,
> > but just dive right in and fetch the element you want, e.g.:
> >
> >     my $pi2k = @pi_digits[2000];
>
> In this case, I'd expect @pi_digits.length == Inf, not undef.

If I'm wrong about no proof existing for pi's infiniteness, I apologize.
Pick your favorite series of discrete units n, where n may or may not be
infinite, but where series[x] can be determined (though possibly at
great cost) for all Perl-available positive integers, x.

That aside, the point holds. Tied arrays which point to complex systems
may not have a known length (even in Perl5). We know this.