[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 > From: Trey Harris [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >
 >>    no strict 'refs';
 >>     my Date $date;
 >>     $date .= 'Sep 21, 1963';
 >>
 >>There is a method name there--'Date::Sep 21, 1963'.
 >

 > But that's my point.  You wouldn't have to put the method name or the
class
 > because the compiler would understand what to call.  It would see that
 > $date is in the Date class, and 'Sep 21, 1963' is in the String class, so
 > it would pretend the statement really reads
 >
 >    $date = Date::new_from_String('Sep 21, 1963');

my Date $date;
$date .= getText("/Transaction/TransactionDTM");

does this call the locally visible function/method "getText", take the
string that results from that, and then does $date =
Date::new_from_String() on the result, or does it try to do

$date = $date.getText("/Transaction/TransactionDTM");

My feeling is the latter.

$date += 4;  # $date = $date + 4;
$date -= 4;  # $date = $date - 4;
$date *= 4;  # $date = $date * 4;
$date .= foo; # $date = #date.foo;

I suspect that, if it makes sense to say

$foo = &$date.method;

then it would also make sense to say

$date .= $foo;

as well.