Really what I've been wishing for was an operator (or whatever) to let me do an
s// without changing the variable.

print 'He said "'_($statement ~ s/\.$//)_'," but we didn't believe him.';

I'm not sure exactly what the semantics would be, but somehow =~ without the =
seems appealing...it's always seemed annoying to have to make a new variable
for things like that, instead of being able to do it in place.  But then,
perhaps that isn't justification for an entire operator so much as

$statement.replace/\.$//

or something....

Mental note: no more postings right before bed.

--
Adam Lopresto ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://cec.wustl.edu/~adam/

Falls don't kill people. It's the deceleration trauma.