--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Yesterday Aaron Crane wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Scott Duff writes:
> >
> > >   @a `+ @b
> >
> > In my experience, many people actually don't get the backtick
> > character at all.
>
> Yes.  I think that might be a good reason _for_ using backtick in
> vector
> operators:
>
>   * Backticks aren't used in any other operators, so they would not
> be
>     mistaken for xor nor arrays.
>
>     Backticks also look a little odd, so even if it isn't intuitive
> as
>     to what is going on, somebody seeing a vector op for the first
> time
>     should at least spot that _something_ different is happening.
>
>   * People starting out in Perl wouldn't want to use vector ops
> straight
>     away (there are enough other things to be learning).  So a
> character
>     that involves 'advanced' typing is used for an 'advanced'
> feature.

This almost makes more sense than the ^[] stuff. But see below.

> A pair of backticks could be used if the vector-equals distinction is
> required:
>
>   @a `+`= @b;
>   @a `+=` @b;

Now it does make more sense. Use them as quotes, please, since that's
the understood usage (and becase syntax highlighters know how to do
this).

I don't even mind if they keep the "dual use" of run-gather and
vectorize. (They probably can't, since prefix ops would look like
run-gathers.)

"let @a be the result of running PLUS with inputs @b and @c"

Yeah!

=Austin