> > On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 12:16:34PM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > ... using backtick in vector operators ... A pair of backticks could
> > > be used if the vector-equals distinction is required:
> > >   @a `+`= @b;
> > >   @a `+=` @b;
> > Thats ugly, IMO.
> Oh, I wasn't claiming that it's pretty.  I think we're past being able
> to find something that's pretty.
> In general I find backticks fairly jarring on the eyes, but they have to
> be used for _something_ ...

I hear there's a vacancy for a qw(...) equivalent now . . .

No, I'm not really suggesting this.  But I am reminded by this whole
endeavour of a certain text adventure.

> get underscore
Taken.
> get bracket
Taken.
> get guillemot
Taken.
> get caret
Taken.
> get backtick
Oops!  While you were reaching for the backtick, you drop the guillemot,
and both tumble to the ground.

(Whine: my Perl undergrad students are too young to remember or
appreciate text adventures.  At least some of you oldsters here will
understand.)
--
Debbie Pickett http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~debbiep [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Is it, err, Mildred? O.K., no. How 'bout - Diana? Rachel?"  "Ariel, her name is