On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Markus Laire wrote:
: I don't think there should be any upper limit for operator-lengths.

There will never be any official limits.  Perl is not about arbitrary
limits.  But I will tell you that I only added <=> to Perl 5 because
I knew there would never be a <=>= operator.  We'll have to relax that
a bit for Perl 6, but we're still trying vaguely to avoid the Icon trap.
Only compositions of operators will be allowed to get longer than 3 chars.
And we try to keep the basic operators at 2 or less.

The really great thing about the French quotes is that they visually
keep the user aware of the composition.  «+=» is obviously a variety of
+=, whereas ^+= is not obvious, though shorter.  (Square brackets are
even better at that, but have other problems.)

Larry