Larry wrote:
> I'm trying to remember why it was that we didn't always make the first
> argument of any sub the topic by default.  I think it had to do with
> the assumption that a bare block should not work with a copy of $_ from
> the outside.

I dug through the archives. We were considering allowing dynamic scoping
of $_ across subroutine calls (for backward compatibility with p5), so
we delayed any final call on whether subs topicalize their first
argument. We've pretty much resolved the first: such an abuse of lexical
scope should be explicitly marked.

For consistency, I think the first argument of subs should be the topic by
default.

Allison