On 2003-01-17 at 19:00:04, Simon Cozens wrote:
> This is plainly untrue. See the "perlsub" documentation, which talks about
> "creating your own syntax" with the & prototype. You can do all this in
> Perl 5, and it saddens me that some of the people redesigning Perl don't
> know what Perl can do.
Well, if even some of the people redesigning the language are
ignorant of some of its capabilities, that is an argument for making
those capabilities easier to discover, and maybe even more intuitive
to use, in the new design.  The fact that a & in a prototype obviates
the following comma is a pretty obscure detail; it's not the sort
of consistent behavior I'd want to build around going forward.

But as I see it, the real problem being solved by the new syntax
is that grep and map can exist solely as methods on some class
in the inheritance tree of @arrays, no global functions required.
That is a Good Thing.

--
Mark REED                    | CNN Internet Technology
1 CNN Center Rm SW0831G      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]