"Michael Lazzaro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> And note that as pretty as -> is, we couldn't have <- for piping
> because it would conflict rather strongly things like
>
>     if ($a<-5)    # (negative five, or pipelike?)

Its resolved by the "longest token" rule, but it would be a common bug. So
it would be a potential problem. <~ is equally ambiguous, but unary tilde is
less common than unary minus. So squiggly-arrows might be better from
that point of view. If we used straight arrays, then we might want to
prefer the "unary-minus" interpretation in the parser, and thus require
whitespace.

> Otherwise, using -> and <- would be ideal.  Especially since then
>
>      $foo->bar
>    and
>      $foo.bar
>
> are exactly equiv, helping perl5 people.  Ah, well.  :-/

Not exactly equivalent: C<dot> would have a higher precedence than ->:

Dave.