> What I think you're looking for is the fact that they're not regexes any more. They
> are > "rexen", but in horrifying-secret-reality, what has happened is that Larry's
> decided
> to move Fortran out of core, and replace it with yacc.

just an aside, and a bit off-topic, but has anybody considered hijacking the regular
expression engine in perl6 and turning it into its opposite, namely making
*productions*
of strings/sounds/whatever that could possibly match the regular expression? ie:

a*

producing

''
aa
aaa
aaaa

etc.

I could think of lots of uses for this:

        1) test data for databases and programs.
        2) input for genetic algorithms/code generators
        3) semantic rules/production of random sentences.

In fact, I foresee a combo of 2,3 and some expert system somewhere producing the first
sentient perl program. ;-)

Ed

(
ps: As for the 'rexen' concept of matching stuff other than characters, hell, that's a
*wonderful* idea. And if you turned the regex around so that you could (in a
meaningful
way) make productions from it for stuff other than characters, you could make random
http requests, music, GUI requests/interactions database connections and so forth.

Its a code testers' dream...

Now, just got to think of the syntax for it.. how to make it usable.
)