On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:17:12PM -0600, Rod Adams wrote:
> Given the fact that use of these blocks are overall quite rare, and
> potentially very confusing to the casual perl hacker who encounters one
> of them, I propose a rather different tact:
>
> BEGIN => EXECUTE_ON_PARSE
> CHECK => EXECUTE_AFTER_COMPILE and EXECUTE_AFTER_UNIT_COMPILE
> INIT => EXECUTE_INITIALIZATION
> END => EXECUTE_ON_EXIT
>
> This also has the advantage of being able to reserve all subs with name
> EXECUTE_.* for compiler/interpreter special sub like these, so we could
> add more of them come perl 6.8 w/o much issue.

I'm not sure I agree with your actual proposal, but I certainly agree
with the spirit of it.  When I first saw UNITEND I had to double take
to make sure I read it correctly.  I propose that if we use multi-word
block names, that they have an underscore between the words to be
slightly more readable.  (I hate underscores, but I hate LONGCAPSWORDS
more)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff                     Division of Nearshore Research
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               Senior Systems Analyst II