[Pedro == [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Sun, 13 Jun 2004 03:40:27 +0200]

Pedro> What advantages have to use characters not in standard
Pedro> keyboards?

Flexibility.
Stylistic choice.
There is More Than One Way To Do It.
Power.
Expressiveness.

Everything that makes Perl good.

Pedro> Isn't it a little scary?

Yes, very.  Great phrasing.

Scary enough that this same question will continue to be asked over
and over and over.  You're not the only one afraid, believe me.

The "unicode operator" issue boils down to "even if you can't picture
using it yourself, there are lots of people who can find good uses for
it.  And they should be allowed to do so if they wish."

It's extremely unlikely I personally will use Unicode operators in my
code.  I haven't yet seen an example presented where using a Unicode
operator would save keystrokes, for instance.  And it will likely be
easier for me to remember the "long" ASCII versions of any "short"
Unicode operators.

But it would be selfish and shortsighted to try to force that choice
onto everyone.

Yes, fragmentation may occur.  You may occasionally get P6 code that
was written with a Unicode operator or two.  You may have to pipe the
code through a standard "p6unicode2p6ascii" program to read and/or
edit it properly.  But realistically, it's likely the community is
unlikely to use them widely and the defacto standard in public code
will be to stick with ASCII.  If that doesn't happen, it will be a
good sign that there was actually great pent-up demand for Unicode
operators and people are glad they are around.

The only thing we have to fear (from the mere availability of Unicode
operators) is fear itself.

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"One cannot mark the point without marking the path."