Larry wrote:

Actually, I've been rethinking this whole mess since last week, and
am seriously considering cranking up the Ruby-o-meter here just a tad.
At the moment I'm inclined to say that the *only* interpolators in
double quotes are:

    \n, \t etc.
    $foo
    @foo[$i]
    %foo{$k}
    {EXPR}

where the last provides a list context to EXPR.  So all of these
would require curlies:

    {foo()}
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    {%foo}
    {$foo.bar}
    {Dog.wag}
    {.count}
    {~localtime}
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] '.'}
    {$x.as "%10.5d"}

So what about:

      $foo[$i]
      $foo{$k}

???

And would slices interpolate?

I can't say I'm keen on making {...} special in strings. I felt that the $(...) and @(...) were a much cleaner and more general solution. The prospect of backslashing every opening brace in every interpolated string is not one I relish.

Damian