On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 15:19, Paul Seamons wrote:
> > So, I was wondering about a synonym, like:
> >
> >     uses Some::Module::That::Defines::A::Class $foo;
>
> Well if the long name is the problem:
>
> use Some::Module::That::Defines::A::Class as Foo;

No, like I said: this is not golf. I'm trying to remove an element of
redundancy that I think obscures the meaning of a set of statements.

Saying,

  use reallylongnameforamodulethathassomeclass as Foo;
  our Foo $bar := .new;

Still has the same redundancy, it's just been hidden a bit. If
"use/instantiate" is a common practice for certain kinds of library,
then I think we should have a mechanism to perform that pair as a single
step.

As for the previous suggestion from Juerd... I don't think that
autoloading classes is quite the same. First, I'm not sure how that
behaves in a pre-compiled environment. When does the autoload happen?

Next, it's not explicit, and can thus lead to mistakes. With "uses", the
module inclusion is explicit, it just also happens to be an
instantiater.

--
â 781-324-3772
â [EMAIL PROTECTED]