On 8/16/06, Darren Duncan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'll try saying what I meant differently here:

The difference between === and eqv is that, if you have 2 symbols, $a
and $b, and $a === $b returns true, then that result is guaranteed to
be eternal if you don't assign to either symbol [or other symbols
aliased to either] afterwards.

The idea is that, the degree to which === examines 2 variables to
consider them equal or not is only so far as they are immutable.  So
if you say "$foo = $bar", and then "$baz === $foo" returns true, then
a subsequent assignment to or type-allowed mutation of $bar won't
invalidate that $baz === $foo, but an assignment to $foo would.

IMHO the text "a subsequent assignment to or" is useless here because
I don't think any subsequent assignment to $bar could ever affect
$foo, even if they were mutable types:
   $bar = [1,2];
   $foo = $bar;
   $bar = 123; # This doesn't affect $foo

Of course, type-allowed mutation of $bar will affect $foo if $bar is
mutable type.

Still, thanks for clarification - I misunderstood what you meant with
"someone else holding another symbol".

--
Markus Laire