to further comment, I would never believe a logo actually influences
which programming languages one chooses to develop in ... but I would
argue that a logo needs to convey the right 'messages' to those who
pay for software projects ... as with any logo; my point is to
identify these messages prior to instantiation e.g. graphic design ...
though doing both ain't bad either.

here is a stab at some simple messages.

for developers: inclusive, easy to use, fast, powerful, linguistic
based, DIY, all computing paradigms allowed (func, proc, oo, etc),
fun, subversive

for wider audience: robust, trusted, straightforward, safe, supported

colors evoke meaning, shapes/animals, etc do as well ...

thats enough from the 'marketing corner' ... back to programming.

cheers, Jim Fuller