On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 05:32:16PM +0200, Mark Overmeer wrote:
: >> Perl6 and Perl5 have some things in common, just like PHP and Perl5.
: >
: > Perl 6 is the next version of Perl 5 and Perl 6 comes with a Perl 5
: > compatibility mode and Perl 6 is intended to be able to use Perl 5
: > modules. That makes Perl 5 different from PHP.
:
: The parrot-based PHP implementation will be able to link Perl6 and
: PHP code, if I understand correctly.  And the same for Python.  And
: Lua. and so on.  I don't know.  I am less convinced about a strong
: bond than you.

And indeed, Perl 6 considers all other languages to be dialects of
itself.  Even if you say "Perl only", any Perl 6 program can say:

    use Befunge;

and then continue in the Befunge dialect of Perl 6, assuming the
Befunge Perl 6 module is available.  :)

I realize this is not the current attitude of (much of) the Perl 5
community, but originally Perl succeeded because it *connected* with
everything else it could, not because it was trying to be an island
to itself.  Perl was never supposed to be about drawing boundaries.

Larry