On Feb 12, 2010, at 19:57 , Timothy S. Nelson wrote:
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Jon Lang wrote:
John Gabriele wrote:
Personally, I've always thought that Perl has a very natural feel to
it, and deserves a doc markup format that's also natural: [Markdown]
(and [Pandoc]'s Markdown has just the right additions, IMO).

[Markdown]: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/
[Pandoc]: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

I definitely prefer Markdown's approach to "inline markup" over POD's
approach: e.g., _italic_ strikes me as much more legible than
I<italic>.

That's one of the things that's always annoyed me with Markdown; I think it should be *bold*, /italic/, and _underline_.

There's a school of thought, common among printing/publishing types, that insists that underline was intended solely to replace italics when they couldn't be represented (i.e. no fonts, as with ASCII terminals and printers). Thus Markdown's use of _italic_. (See also nroff.)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] allb...@kf8nh.com
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allb...@ece.cmu.edu