On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Timothy S. Nelson
<wayl...@wayland.id.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Jon Lang wrote:
>
>> I definitely prefer Markdown's approach to "inline markup" over POD's
>> approach: e.g., _italic_ strikes me as much more legible than
>> I<italic>.
>
>        That's one of the things that's always annoyed me with Markdown; I
> think it should be *bold*, /italic/, and _underline_.
>
>        :)

Well, rather than thinking in terms of italic and bold, if you think
of them as *emphasized* and **strongly emphasized** they make pretty
good sense.

That said, note that many well-intentioned threads on Markdown
formatting tweaks (on various forums) have resulted in lots of heat
but not very much light. One of the reasons I brought up Pandoc
Markdown is because it's here *now* and ready to go. In fact, if you
like, you can get a rough idea of how the Synopses would look in
Markdown right now just by doing:

    pod2html S01-overview.pod > S01-overview.html
    pandoc --to=markdown S01-overview.html > S01-overview.txt

---John