Brandon S Allbery KF8NH wrote:
On 8/4/10 21:26 , Darren Duncan wrote:
jerry gay wrote:
are there codepoints in unicode that may be either upper-case or
lower-case, depending on the charset?  if so, then there's ambiguity
here, depending on the user's locale.  i suspect not, but languages
are strange beasts, and i don't know the answer.

Just say that names consisting entirely of either ASCII-range uppercase
letters or ASCII-range lowercase letters are reserved, and that names having
either both of those or any of those plus non-ASCII letters are not reserved.

The only way I see this being a problem is if we forsee that we might want
to have official names going out of the ASCII repertoire, which I would
recommend we don't.

For the first, you're also excluding scripts that lack the notion of case:
Hebrew and Arabic, and all of the ideograms, etc.

As to the latter, Perl 6 already has «» and ASCII equivalent <<>>; I would
expect similar would be possible and supported in this context.

(Yes, I know, I'm not helping.  Only thing that occurs to me is something
like "x-foobie:".)

Read what I said again. I was proposing that the namespace comprised of names matching a pattern like this:

... be reserved for official use and the complementary namespace be available for users to define names in. So users can use anything with non-ASCII characters plus those with mixed-case ASCII.

So users aren't excluded from using Hebrew or Arabic characters due to what I said, but only that official names wouldn't use them.

-- Darren Duncan