On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Carl Mäsak <cma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Darren (>>>>), Carl (>>>), Darren (>>), Patrick (>):
>
> > In this case yes -- the original pattern without the square brackets
> > would act like:
> >
> >    / [^ <[A..Z]>+] | [<[a..z]>+ $] /
> >
> > In other words, the original pattern says "starting with uppercase
> > or ending with lowercase".
>
> I see this particular thinko a lot, though. Maybe some Perl 6 lint
> tool or another will detect when you have a regex containing ^ at its
> start, $ at the end, | somewhere in the middle, and no [] to
> disambiguate.

You know, this problem would go away, almost entirely, if we had a :f[ull]
adverb for regex matching that imposed ^[...]$ around the entire match. Then
your code becomes:

for grins, :f[ull]l[ine] could use ^^ and $$.

I suspect :full would almost always be associated with TOP, in fact. Boy am
I tired of typing ^ and $ in TOP ;-)

--
Aaron Sherman
Email or GTalk: a...@ajs.com