On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Doug McNutt <dougl...@macnauchtan.com>wrote:

> I confess.  I'm here because I hoped perl 6 would do vector operations
> after reading an early small book.

I don't think anyone has said that it won't/can't. Perl 6 indeed returns a
scalar... but that scalar may be a container of some kind, including a
vector if such a container type has been defined. (Think perl5's refs, only
managed automatically instead of making the programmer manually convert
between refs and referenced.)

Even FORTRAN doesn't actually pass or return arbitrarily sized arrays. It
passes pointers around instead; you just can't see them or touch them
directly --- but there are ways to *abuse* them, such as the infamous hack
that lets you change the value of a "literal" number because of the
representation that has to be used for them just in case they're passed to
or returned from a function. Perl6 normally hides this kind of as well, but
if for some reason you need to, you can get at the underlying machinery, so
the existence of that machinery is admitted instead of being hidden and
occasionally coughing up bizarre dust bunnies.)

allber...@gmail.com                                  ballb...@sinenomine.net