On Sun, 2011-13-02 at 20:27 +0300, Richard Hainsworth wrote:
> Before doing any more work on this benchmarking project, I was wondering
> if any one else thinks the effort is worth it.

Me.  I hope to get started in a couple of weeks once my accounting is
done.

> Although  it is early days, it seemed reasonable to start setting up a
> framework for benchmarking perl6 algorithms against
> implementations/releases and against other languages.

I am only interested in perl5, perl6 and C to start.

> The Alioth shootout is one benchmarking system, with thirteen benchmark

The Alioth "benchmarking game" (current maintainer deprecates
"shootout") is a very well-defined system.  I would like to start there
but re-organize the documentation a bit as I'm more interested in the
framework than the specific results -- except for how perl6 compares
with perl and C (for now).

One thing I like about it is that most of the algorithms are specified
and referenced.  So what's being compared are implementations in
specific languages.

> programs. I have converted one benchmark to perl6 (two programs,
> slightly different). Gradually working on the remainder.
>
> The results below compare perl, perl6, ruby, php, and python programs.
> (I haven't got java or gcc to work yet). The input data are very small,
> since perl6 is still weak.
>
> Hopefully the table formatting below will come out properly.

Unfortunately not too well.

> name  lang    id      n       size(B)         cpu(s)  mem(KB)         status
> load    elapsed(s)
> nbody         python  1       30      1329    0.01    0       0       %       > 0
> nbody         php     2       30      1333    0.01    0       0       %       > 0
> nbody         perl    1       30      1556    0.01    0       0       %       > 0
[snip]
> nbody         perl6   2       30      1320    5.41    206776  0       100%
> 13%        5.42
> nbody         perl6   1       30      1394    5.64    208820  0       32% 89%
>         5.68

[snip]

So can we conclude from this that perl6 is *really* slow right now ?

--
--gh